At a Glance
- Founded in 1971 as The New School
- Moved to permanent location at “Little Slocum Farm” in 2004
- Renamed The Pennfield School in 1993, after Isabelle Penny (Assistant Head of School and English teacher, 1972-1993)
- Typically about 175 students in grades preschool - eight
- About 7 international students from China each year
- About 18 military students each year
- About 130 families -with about 40 new students each year. A majority live on Aquidneck Island.
Families also travel from South County, East Bay and Little Compton/Tiverton.
- Average class size: 16 students
- 39 faculty and administrators
- Upper School 100% access to Macbooks, iMacs and iPads
- Lower School 1:2 computer to student ratio
- 19 acres of property abutting the Aquidneck Island Land Trust’s Sakonnet Greenway Trail
and Glen Farm (Portsmouth’s athletic fields)